Saturday, April 26, 2008

2008 Spring/Summer Tour - Day 24

Our plans this morning were to get up and go to see the Justin Roberts concert at 11:45 at the LA Times Bookfest at UCLA, where I would meet up with him after the show for an interview. But when I woke up, the cold that had begun yesterday had exploded into a full blown "I ain't goin' nowhere" kind of thing. One of the worst colds I can remember having in recent years. Roseann said I was walking around like a zombie, well, when I was walking around... mostly I just wanted to lay down. And although there are probably a good number of zombies driving around L.A., I didn't want to add to their numbers. So I e-mailed Justin and told him "sorry, can't make it". I was really bummed, as there had already been a few times over the past few years that I've just missed hooking up with him at Seattle or Portland or somewhere else, where the timing wasn't quite right.

I took the girls out swimming and the sun felt nice, and then we came back to the RV where I had a nap and we caught up on some TV shows I had recorded, like Lost and CSI, while the girls played. And then there was a point at about 3 pm when I realized a few things... 1) I was feeling a little bit better 2) I was feeling really antsy staying inside the RV all day 3) Justin Roberts was scheduled for 2 sets that day, at 11:45 am and 5:30 pm. I took a shower and we were on our way. I was still feeling pretty sick, but my delirium had subsided so I was safe to drive.

The concert was a lot of fun. Justin is without a doubt one of the biggest and best kids' music performers out there now. He was actually one of the first people I had contacted years ago to ask for some advice about the kids' music world when it turned out a mutual friend of ours knew him from college. He graciously offered some advice and I really appreciated that. His band sounded terrific and he fit a good variety of songs from his different albums into a half hour set. Becca and Evee both had a great time, and Becca in particular was really smitten with Justin. She kept leaning over to excitedly tell Roseann, "He looked at me!" It was really cute. I think you can see how starstruck she was at meeting him in the second picture below...

I was too sick to do an interview, and I don't know if he had time after that set anyway, as he wasn't expecting me to be there at that time, but it was really cool to finally meet him and we'll be doing an interview at some point when it's more convenient.

We stopped for dinner and to do some shopping and then went back to the KOA to go to bed.




No comments: