Wednesday, April 9, 2008

2008 Spring/Summer Tour - Day 7

We drove up to San Francisco today where I had two shows at libraries. Each of them was a special performance meant for local preschools and kindergarten classes... the first library wasn't even open for the public during the time of the show. Wow, what a fun group at both shows! It was pretty packed in the small spaces of the children's sections, but there was just enough room for everyone to move around without major collisions.

At the end of the first show, Becca and Evee came up to sit on my knees and join me on "This Little Light of Mine", as they usually do, and a little boy from a preschool wanted to come up, too. I tried to indicate that it was okay for him to stay there next to me, but it was too late when I had realized it and the teacher had picked him up and carried him back. He was very upset and cried for the first half of the song. After the show, I was telling Roseann how it's too bad that I didn't signal the teacher in time to let her know it was okay for him to stay. Becca heard what we were saying and said, "But Daddy, he couldn't stay there for that song... you don't have three knees!"

The parking situation was less than ideal for the second show... I had to park "the bus" a couple blocks away, and having been told by the previous branch that the performance area at this
branch would also be very tight, I decided to go ahead and give the Invisible Band the rest of the day off and do a rare "unplugged" show. I don't mind the opportunity once in a while to do a show like that, and it went very well, though it gets a little hard to hear myself singing or playing guitar for certain songs where the kids are participating vocally, which gets really loud.

For that second show, Roseann and the girls stayed in the bus and had a nap and did some crafts together. Becca was going over her homework from one of her workbooks involving coins and values of money and such, and we decided that the girls are old enough to start earning a little bit of money for different tasks they do, like helping out with cleaning up books and toys and folding laundry, etc.


When I was done we went back to Steve and April's for dinner, played some games like "Hide and Seek" and Apples to Apples Jr., sang a rousing 7 verse version of "Elmo's Song" together, and went to bed.


From the morning show at the Visitacion Valley Branch...















From the afternoon show at the Portola Branch... (look ma, no microphone)

No comments: