Saturday, August 23, 2008

2008 Spring/Summer Tour - Day 143

I had a couple of coffeeshop gigs today over on Whidbey Island. Of course, I used to do nothing but coffeeshop gigs before doing kids' music, but it's very rare that I do them anymore. But I saw a listing looking for people to do acoustic gigs at Mike's Place in Langley, and I figured as long as I'd be staying out in Everett at this time anyway, that I might as well go ahead and do that. And it turned out that the owners of Rockhopper's Daily Grind in Clinton (also on Whidbey Island) recognized me from their grandkids watching the YouTube videos and asked if I could stop in and do a show there as well.

Seeing as the fee for transporting a motorhome on the ferry is pretty exorbitant, and these weren't really high-paying gigs, I rented a car for the trip over to the island. But it turned out that the car wasn't quite as "mid-sized" as I hoped, and there just wasn't room for all of my equipment and for my entourage, so Roseann and the girls stayed back and hung out in the bus, playing and watching movies and having a nice girls' day together.

Mike's Place had a sporadic audience coming in and out, as is usually the case for coffeeshops, but I had fun singing a variety of songs for the people who hung around. I used to have a set list of over 300 songs when I was playing these kind of gigs all the time back in Buffalo, but I was shocked at how few of them I could still remember at this point. I couldn't even remember some of my own originals... Nonetheless, I was able to dig into my memory enough to fill out the time and everyone there seemed to enjoy it quite a lot, but next time I do a gig like this again, I'll really need to go over some of those songs again, or bring along some cheat sheets, at least.

The Rockhoppers show was just put together a few days ago, so there only ended up being a few kids there and a smattering of adults, but every one of the kids was already a big fan and knew my music very well and the adults played along very generously and we all had a really great time together. After the kid songs set, I did a few of my coffeehouse songs for the grown-ups there, and then a couple more kids songs for some kids who showed up later.

I went back over the ferry and got back to the RV park in time to put the girls to bed.


A picture from the ferry ride...


Doing "The Bicycle Song" at Rockhoppers...

No comments: