Friday, May 16, 2008

2008 Spring/Summer Tour - Day 44

I ended up getting to sleep at about 3 am and got up as usual with the girls at about 7. But those four hours of sleep combined with the three hours of sleep earlier and the nap yesterday afternoon actually made it feel like oversleeping. Regardless, I was still feeling pretty lousy this morning. Not quite as nauseous, but very weak with some serious knots in my stomach. I had a fever yesterday for a while but that had passed, thankfully. We drove to El Paso and the whole way I kept seeing billboards with pizza and burgers and other delicious looking food and it was a torturous temptation, because I was super hungry but knew I wasn't remotely ready to eat anything but anti-nausea chewables.

Considering I had very little energy and a weird feeling in my stomach the whole time, the assemblies I did at a school in El Paso went well. Not terrific, but good, all things considered. I was scheduled at 1:30 and 2:30 and I should have asked the principal sooner what time school let out, because when I asked him that right before the 2:30 performance, he said, "3:15, so if we can have the show end at 3:05, that would be great." Problem is that this program is usually right about 47-48 minutes on the nose from the time I start, and I can't remember when an assembly I've performed has ever started right at the scheduled time... usually by the time all of the students are in the room and announcements are made it is about 3 or 4 minutes after the start time. Normally, that's fine, but in this case it meant that I had about 30 minutes. I cut a couple of songs and rushed through everything else best I could and the show ended at, I think, 3:08. Anyway, I was really grateful to be able to perform both shows at all... I could have spent the whole day hugging my knees on the bathroom floor... so although it wasn't ideal, it could have been a lot worse.

We drove from there to an RV park nearby and stayed there for the night. As we were pulling into our spot we noticed another RV near us where a guy had a macaw and a sun conure, so we took the girls over to look at them. Tiggy really wanted to go, too... he is really fascinated by birds... but we felt he probably shouldn't make their acquaintance. We had dinner (I braved a bowl of oatmeal and seemed to do okay with that... though I'd have preferred the pizza or burger) and put the girls to bed, then caught up on some net stuff and watched some tube before getting to bed ourselves.




No comments: