Wednesday, May 28, 2008

2008 Spring/Summer Tour - Day 56

We left the RV park and stopped in Irving for a craigslist transaction, then went to Ft. Worth where I had a school gig. We got caught in some very slow construction traffic and were thankful for the GPS unit to get us around that.

When the notice came in last week from the agency that books schools for me about this gig, I did a double-take when I saw the times listed as 3 and 4 pm. I thought, what... am I doing assemblies for kids in detention?? I did another double-take when I noticed the description said to please make the assembly and songs science oriented. I thought, hmmm, I'm not sure I could pull off a science assembly, you know, with bubbling beakers and electrostatic machines and such. That's just not the kind of thing I do, and somebody would probably get hurt (most likely me). I assumed the booking was a mistake, but when Roseann called in to ask about it, they laughed at the confusion in her voice... Turns out it was a special after-school program for the kids and their parents which was paid for in part by a science foundation grant, or something like that. They didn't really want a "science show", but just a mention of the importance of science included in the program. That, I could probably do without hurting anybody or burning the school down. So I emphasized more of the scientific aspect of Thomas Edison's work, which is already mentioned in the program, and talked about how a lot of science involves observing and learning about the world around us, and doing what we can to make it better.

Anyway, there were two groups and they were both a lot of fun. The auditorium was extremely echoey echoey echoey, so I had to adjust my levels quite a bit during the first part of the first show, but it worked out from that point on.

We drove from there to an RV park in Princeton, where we'll be staying for the next few nights while we visit with Roseann's brother Brent and her nephew David and their families, who live nearby in Plano.


No comments: