Wednesday, June 4, 2008

2008 Spring/Summer Tour - Day 63

We drove to the main library, where Pabby picked me up with my equipment. My gig was at the downtown branch, where there is no parking for the likes of our motorhome. So the girls and Roseann stayed behind and hung out at the main library and played on the computers and participated with the storytime there.

John McCain was holding some kind of event at the building right next to the downtown library, and traffic reports were telling people to avoid coming downtown, so that didn't bode well for my show, especially as Pabby said that the downtown library typically doesn't get too many kids as it is. I ended up with, I think, eight kids, so it was a very small crowd, but I'll bet my show was a lot more fun than John McCain's.

Pabby treated me to some root beer after the show at an ice cream shop kind of place called Frostop. I thought it was unusual that the place advertised things like "freezees", "ice cream", "floats", "shakes" and also "seafood". It seems like everywhere in the area offers seafood... Joe's Laundromat & Seafood, Bail Bonds & Seafood, etc.

I met the girls back at the library and we drove on to Gonzales. I'm doing a few shows tomorrow and Friday for the Acsension Parish (all of the counties here are called "parishes") libraries, and they offered to get us a hotel for tonight and tomorrow as part of the deal. Now, to me and Roseann, a hotel isn't always that much of a convenience... we already have a hotel on wheels, of sorts, and it can be a pain to have to unload a bunch of stuff from the bus and worry about where the bus is parked and if our food will make it without the bus being plugged in, etc. But sleeping on a full-size bed and having a TV and pool and all that is nice once in a while, and we know the girls are big fans of hotels. Becca, in particular, gets very excited whenever we stay at a hotel, and even designed a hotel game last winter when she heard we would be staying at a hotel in Spokane. You can see a picture of the prototype below, complete with a spinner with Mommy, Daddy, Becca and Evee. If the spinner landed on your picture, then you could move up a floor, jumping over someone else's floor if they were there. In the game pictured, Evee won by making it to the penthouse suite, and you can see who was stuck outside and never even made it into the hotel...

So we went to the hotel pool for a while, then came back and ate some dinner and put the girls to bed, then Roseann gave me a haircut and we watched some more Arrested Development and went to sleep.




Freezees, ice cream, floats, shakes and... seafood??




The girls enjoying the vastness of their hotel bed...


Becca's Hotel game prototype...

No comments: