Friday, June 6, 2008

2008 Spring/Summer Tour - Day 65

Last night Tiggy kept me and Roseann up by meowing incessantly. Normally, he is a very quiet cat, and even when he does meow, it is very quiet, but he was insistent and really carrying on. We couldn't quite figure out what the problem was.

We all had baths at the hotel and then went to my gig at the Donaldsonville library. It was a fun show and there were a lot of CD sales again, but we also ended up inadvertantly giving some away. I had mentioned, as I usually do, that I would be happy to sign postcards or CDs after the show (again alluding to having CDs but not being allowed to mention that I was selling them, as with the shows yesterday), and so there was a rush of kids at the CD table at the end of the show, and several of them grabbed CDs for me to sign. I didn't realize as I was signing them that several of them hadn't had their parent pay Roseann for them. This was part of the problem of not being able to announce that I was selling CDs and how much they are... that they are supposed to cost money. We estimated that about 4 CDs were taken without being paid for, so it wasn't a huge loss.

We headed back towards Baton Rouge and stopped at a little group of stores where they had an alligator pond. There are three or four of them in there, but we only saw one. He was pretty big and cool looking, with a menacing sort of look that seemed to say, "I'd love to have you for lunch." Well, we had the last laugh on him, as we went out to a nice Cajun restaurant for lunch and ended up having some alligator as the appetizer. There was some kind of problem with making that, though, and it took over 45 minutes after our salads for that to come. Normally, we wouldn't have cared too much about that kind of thing, but the girls were getting very hungry and agitated, and it's not like they had a Playland there. They finally brought us some hush puppies, and boy were they good. They were made with some kind of honey cornbread with jalapenos and onions... Mmmm... I will never be able to eat the hush puppies at Long John Silver's again without thinking longingly of these ones. We had a Cajun seafood sampler between us all, with crawfish, stuffed shrimp, stuffed crab, oysters, catfish and a few other things I can't remember. It was all really delicious (well, we weren't too crazy about the oysters), and so was the alligator. I had that once before in Florida, but Roseann had never tried it. I had recalled it tasting like chicken, but this time, I liked it better than chicken. Anyway, the manager was sorry for the delay and gave us a gift certificate to return there, and more hush puppies, so that was really nice.

We went from there to an RV park in Baton Rouge and I finished off the laundry, which involved a few more long walks and waits. What a workout this batch of laundry has been! But at least it's all done and we'll never have to do it again... until a few days from now (argh). The girls played together pretty crazily in the bus (sometimes you'd think it was a giant playground and not a motorhome) and then they had dinner (we were still pretty full from lunch and didn't eat much) and went to bed. We played some games on the computer, watched a few more episodes of Arrested Development (we're trying to get through the whole series) and went to bed.






1 comment:

Saints and Spinners said...

Quick! Put some cooked alligator in your freezer and keep it until August. The most exotic local dish I've ever had here in Seattle was geoduck, and let me tell you, it was a disappointment.

Re: CDs, maybe after you say that you could sign CDs and cards, you could say, "Have your parents/caregivers talk to Roseann about the CDs" or something of that ilk.