Thursday, June 5, 2008

2008 Spring/Summer Tour - Day 64

I had shows today at the Gonzales and Galvez libraries. Both shows were quite crowded and the audiences were very enthusiastic. I sold a very large number of CDs at both shows, which is only worth mentioning because Jennifer, my contact there, told me when I was setting up the CD table that I wasn't supposed to be selling anything. She had forgotten to tell me that when we had booked the gigs. Every once in a great while, there is a library where that's the case, but the problem is, my library pricing is lower than, for example, school assemblies, partially because of the expectation of being able to sell some CDs. She said that the county, er, parish, is pretty strict about that, but it would be okay if I "sold" the CDs, as long as I didn't mention during the shows that I was selling them. So I gave away a couple CDs as part of the show, which was okay to do, and was the only reference to my having them. Considering how many CDs we ended up selling, regardless, I'm wondering if my new CD sales pitch during my shows should be... no sales pitch?

A few words about the weather... It's a little hot here. Well, a little hot wouldn't be worth mentioning, considering we just came through Arizona, New Mexico and Texas, where it's also been very hot. The difference here is the humidity, which is close to 100%. It is like two different worlds of "moist fire" and "dry ice" when you go from outside to inside. Where we live in the Tri-Cities, WA area, it is actually a desert climate, and it can get over 100 in the summer. I don't think I'll complain about that anymore, though, as long as it's a dry 100. But when it's nearly 100 with nearly 100% humidity added in... look out.

We drove from there to the hotel in Donaldsonville, stopping on the way to do some shopping. The girls worked with some programs on their laptops while I set about doing the laundry, which became a comedic tragedy of sorts. The hotel only has a small laundry room with one washer and one dryer, and the timer on the dryer doesn't really work right... it stays on "1 minute remaining" for several minutes... and someone else's laundry was still in the dryer, so that meant that there were several trips to the laundry room where I couldn't really do anything, and our room on the far side of the second floor was the longest possible walk from the laundry room. I gave up after doing one load, and we went to bed after watching a few more episodes of Arrested Development.




No comments: